In this and two following podcasts in this series (with later I expect a screencast that will cover much the same material but not in a 5 minute format) will begin to present what I’m calling “The Five Step Bible Programme” which is developed out of teaching a similar scheme from:
Duvall, J Scott, and J Daniel Hays. Journey into God’s Word: Your Guide to Understanding and Applying the Bible. Grand Rapids Mich.: Zondervan, 2008.
for an introductory course at Carey. I’ve simplified their scheme a little, and applied the step of understanding Scripture through its fulfilment in Christ to all of Scripture, not just to the Old Testament (as they do). The five steps are:
- What DID it say (back then, to the first hearers)?
- What is the difference (between then and now)?
- What does it teach about God and God’s relationship with the world and us (theology)?
- How does Jesus fulfill (fill out fully) this passage?
- What DOES it mean (here and now)?